Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two horizontal breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliedurrant

Materials
Dec 16, 2005
GB
I have a model that is over 2m long. I want to put 2 horizontal breats in it for a 2D diagram. I only seem to be able to put one in......am I missing something or can I not put 2 or more breaks into the view of the model?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version do you have?
Not 100% sure, but I think up to 2005 you can only insert 1 break.
I don't remember.

In 2007 you believe can insert more than 1 break. I have not tried it yet.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

What version are you using? I am using SW06, and I have used 4 breaks on a view before. You may have to un-break the view before adding additional breaks.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

Thanks to all.

I have SW2006 SP0. This is a pretty basic function and I'm supprised its not been in for years.

It just doesn't let me add more than one of the same type?!?

I don't espect anyone has 2006 sp0 (second hand) so the answer is, does 2005 definately have the feature or not?

Ummmm .... pretty basic stuff though!

Select the view, add a horiz break, done.
Select the view again, add another horiz break, done.
Should work.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

As said, it is included from SW2007. A company I work for submitted the feature request quite a time ago. They wanted to do anchor plans for construction work.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer/AI student

I am on SW06 SP4.1 and I can add as many of one type of break that I want. When I try to add both types I get a message saying:

"Cannot insert a break in this drawing view.
The direction of the new break is not the same as the other break(s) in this drawing view."

If you need to show only 2 horizontal breaks, just insert both sets before you actually break the view.

Anne Van Epern
C.G. Bretting Mfg., Ashland, WI

SW 2006 SP4.1 DBWorks 2005
Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

Try un-breaking the view like I said earlier if you need to add additional breaks. Or do like AnneVan posted above and insert multiple breaks BEFORE breaking the view. In 2006, if a view already has breaks in it, the horizontal and vertical break buttons are grayed out unless I un-break the view.

[sarcastic]
Please tell me that this doesn't work in 2005 instead of "I didn't try any of the suggestions above".
[/sarcastic]

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

I don't espect anyone has 2006 sp0 (second hand) so the answer is, does 2005 definately have the feature or not?
A very confusing statement!
"second hand" ????
"so the answer is" .... did you mean "so the question is"
"does 2005 definately have the feature or not?" ... I thought you were using SW06.

SW05 can only place one break, one direction only, per view.
SW06 can place multiple breaks, one direction only, per view.

Can you update to SP5? It may fix your problem.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

Ohhh ... In that case I stand corrected. I thought that multiple breaks were only introduced in SW05.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

Hi,

Just to square the books:

1) My point about 'does solid works 2005 have the feature?' inferred that, if it did, I was doing something wrong since they (solidworks) would not have dropped a feature.
2) 'Second hand' means I did not purchase the software new from a supplier and I can't get a service pack upgrade.
3) Apologies for the confusion with 'answer' and 'question' - that was me rushing.
4) I can now add more breaks. My problem was that when you add the first one you click the menu then click on the drawing. For the second and subsequent ones you have to click on the drawing where you want the break and then select the menu item.

Thanks for all the help and the gramatical corrections!

I'm a programmer by trade and all i ever do is:

int i;

i = i + 1;

I'm glad to see other engineers are not so slack with their gra 'mm' ar and spelling.

Thanks for the google spell checker info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back