Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Type of Construction IBC 602.4.6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugeeo

Structural
Aug 23, 2005
US
The Statement in the IBC "Floors shall not extend closer than 1/2 inch to walls. Such 1/2-inch space shall be covered by a molding fastened to the wall and so arranged that it will not obstruct the swelling or shrinkage movement of the floor." makes for an odd corbel type detail, as requiring a ledger on every floor to wall. The detail is somewhat odd-ball, can't really see that the code would require such a 1/2" separation for every detail. Any engineer here convey another detail type?

image_jbvmtb.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the ledger shown adequate for joist bearing? The IBC section in reference is concerning "Sawn or glued-laminated plank floors". I am confused.

exactly.. what is the point of the beam not anchoring into the floor level ? being it could be 20' beam, then the connection should be more compact. The 1/2 inch gap would be for expansion. I can't be satisfied with any detail not engaged with the wall for seismic stability of the chord and beams.

I am not a wood designer, but I think your detail may need some modification in how to attached the wood beam/joist. But for the floor plank, a 1/2" gap is specified by the code. Did you check IRC for this situation? I hope others familiar with wood works will chime in here.

"The section you are referencing is for the floor finish material not the structure."

Aha, you're right, it's not talking about beams, only floor material. Thanks ! Excellent! Spot On.[afro2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back