Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typical Unit Price Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbo2929

Electrical
May 31, 2005
US
I hate to ask, but I'm on short notice, does anyone have a good list of unit price line items, for typical overhead utility line construction work. I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of unit-priced task for a distribution construction contract, and I think I'm missing some stuff. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hello dumbo2929
yeah, what apowerengr said, you asked a vague question. when i first started designing distribution systems, my mentor suggested that i take a supervisor from your local utliity out for lunch or dinner. if you work for a contractor or consultant i would heed the same advice. its amazing what those older guys know and usually are more than happy to tell you what you need to learn and how to get the info. its money well spent if youre starting out. since it seems youre on short notice i would call a city engineering dept that has done thier own utilty work. their contracts are public documents.
i hope this helps some

I'm guessing what the OP was asking for was a list of pricing components that go into overhead line construction and not the price of the work. Pole line contractors bid the work on unit prices with an estimated number of "units". Final contract cost is determined by the actual type and quantity of units performed and installed. The engineers challenge is to take a design and chop it up into a reasonable number of units to minimize contract questions and extras.

The units are usually given an acronym. "AR-4" might mean a pole anchor in rock. “GR10” is a 10 foot 2/8" ground rod, “IN-8” could be an 8 bell insulator string.

Different areas of the US have different abbreviations and descriptions and different T-Line design firms use different nomenclature.

Some times a unit is a complete assembly like a wood H structure with all poles, cross-arms, hardware, and insulators fully assembled. Other units are small devices like "FG-2" for barbed wire fence grounding or WT for a wire tie. Others are related to physical work like the number of trees cleared, the depth of an anchor trench or the length of a temporary access road.

This form of bidding and pricing accounts for field differences but requires a very honest contractor or very good inspection.

I don't have a good list of units. I like the idea of taking a contractor to lunch and getting a list that they are familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back