Status
Not open for further replies.

Resegone

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2019
IT
Good morning everyone.

Today i have a problem with u stamp

I got an order in 2020 and according to ASME i have to use ed. 2019.

But my client asks me to use 2017. Can i get U Stamp p4ojecting with 2017 even if the applicable one is the 2019.

Thanks everyone

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know.in his MR mi client has defined for the project to use ed. 2017.

But i gpt order in 2020. Maybe during bidding phase his MR was applied for the applicable edition of Asme.

I said him that i will use 2020 but he insist to use 2017.

Could be a problem with U stamp. I begin to project in 2020 and i will build the vessel in 2020

It makes no sense to fabricate the new vessel today but using the 2017 Code.
Maybe, what your Client wants is for an used 2017 vessel.

It is common in nuclear projects to fix a code edition that is several editions behind current.
For new civilian construction I don't see any rationale, unless legacy issues are somehow involved.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I think that an AI can only U-Stamp a vessel to the latest code at the time that the Purchase order was placed. Perhaps someone would correct me.
Therefore, your only option is to U-Stamp to the latest code.
If additionally, the customer wants compliance with 2017, then include any extra NDT and print off the 2017 calcs and charge them for the extra design work. But all that extra work won't have anything to do with the U-Stamp. It is just a customer requested extra.

As Section VIII Div.1 Appendix 43-1 (a), revisions become mandatory 6 months after the date of issuance.
Refer the statement to your client Latest (2019) if rules of ASME Sec. VIII Div.1 to be applied.
Even for exemption allowed in appendix 43-1 (b), I don't see a waiver for your case.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6c63a97e-6aa9-4acf-890f-4236b435187c&file=Appendix_43___Application_of_Latest_Code.png.png
Hi folks,

As an experienced manufacturer of more than thirty years I can confirm that no AI or U Stamp team will ever allow us to manufacture to anything other than the mandatory edition of the code at the time of order placement. Twice during our three year audits we have been asked to display a purchase order showing the date of commencement of the project design etc.

I the order is placed after 23.59 on the 31st of December 2019 then the 2019 version of the code must be employed. We have had one or two customers from diferent parts of the world try to tie us down to an earlier code version (to match their specifications or systems) but in every case the answer from the AI has been NO.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back