Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCS 56 and Sec IX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoorthy

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
CA
In ASME Sec VIII Div 1, UCS 56 alternative longer soak time at lower temperature provision is given(Indicating that they are equivalent, although not explicitly). If a manufacturer opts to use this provision then is it necessary for the maufacturer to Perform PQT with longer soaking at lower temperature to support his WPS or is it OK if the normal cycle PQT would supports his WPS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say that it depends on if the material is impact tested or not. If it is, then time at temperature becomes an essential variable, and the PQT must get a PWHT with at least 80% of the time at temp that the product recieves. (QW-407.2)

I agree with GRoberts, only I am sure what GRoberts means "depends on whether PQR needs to be impact tested" in place of "depends on whether material needs impact testing" and also that GRoberts was meaning "weld" when he specified "material".

;-)

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
email: sayee_prasad@yahoo.com
The black holes of nature are the most perfect macroscopic objects there are in the universe: the only elements in their construction are our concepts of space and time.[thumbsup]

UCS-85(f)&(g) addresses only heat treatment of test specimens. BMoorthy's question is directed towards PWHT of Procedure qualification which is as pointed out by GRoberts addressed by QW-407.2, Section IX.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
The black holes of nature are the most perfect macroscopic objects there are in the universe: the only elements in their construction are our concepts of space and time.[thumbsup]

Deanc,
I agree with GRoberts post as stated too. As per UCS 67, if base material requires impact testing, the weld metal requires impact testing too. I was just trying to break the monotony by pulling GRobert's leg a bit. A testimony to the fact that I agree with the appropriateness of GRoberts answer is a star for his answer.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R

Sayeeji,
I maybe wrong (again), but if you refer to UG-84(f),which deals with impact testing of welds, it cross-refers to UCS-85.
Needless to say, I agree with GRoberts.

I was just wondering about QW407.2 with reference to the provisions of UCS 56 for extended soaking at lower temp.
If i recollect properly(Sec IX is not readily available with me) Qw 407.2 is applicable even if the material (and or the weld)does not require Impact. In which case how is it ok to give prefrential treatment to material which does not require impact. As such ASME SEC VIII div 1 has (Atleast in principle) indicated the equivalence of lower temp soak for longer duration.

No BMoorthy, QW407.1 is aessential variable while QW 407.2 is a supplementary essential variable. QW 407.1 talks about various conditions with no emphasis on T and t range whereas QW 407.2 does.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R

There are two issues here; 1) PWHT time and Temperature - which is addressed in UCS-56 and QW-407.1 (All paragraphs need to be addressed) and 2) Those materials requiring Impact test (And therefore QW-407.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back