Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG-27 & 28 Calcs for Finned Tube 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanrick

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2008
US
I have a finned tube made of SB-359 C12200 H55. The ends without fins are .745" OD x .047" nom wall. The unfinned ends are completely contained within the tubesheet. The finned portion is 0.611" ID x .028"nom/0.025"min wall, with .037" fins projecting according to the mfgr drawing. The fins are essentially a knurl, so I don't believe there is a stiffening ring effect.

Question: When doing Section VIII, Div 1, UG-27 & UG-28 calculations, is it proper to use the .611+.028+.028=.667 OD , or the manufacturer's nominal dimensions of 0.745 OD?

This seems like a no-brainer to me, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what is the real (actual) diameter that is containing the pressure?

The actual diameter that holds the pressure is the 0.611 ID X .028 Wall. As I said, this seems like a no-brainer. But more experienced engineers (no longer at my company) than myself chose consistently to use the outer diameter of the fins, rather than the outer diameter of the actual pressure-containing wall. I'm looking to understand the rationale behind this.

Also, thanks for the directions to the Wolverine website. There seems to be a goldmine of information for me.

stanrick, see UG-8(b)(4), Appendix 23

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back