Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGNX3, using measures as parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TACKS652

Automotive
Jan 18, 2006
US
Since we can now save an information result like distance from point to point as a Measure, can this be used to drive a Parameter? An example would be a Arc legnth measure divided by 3.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sure is.

I usually define the measure and save it, then use Tools.. Expression.. to define a named parameter (e.g. in your example, named arc_divide_3).

Use the Formula entry as the parameter (use the pulldown to Measurements if you've got a lot to help get the correct one) e.g. p6 (LENGTH MEASUREMENT(1))/3

Of course you can re-name the p6 to something more meaningful as well.

To use the parameter, create the feature and on the dimension entry, use the pulldown and Formula.. and then select the parameter created by double clicking on it in the list.

The best thing is that changing a feature that drives the arc should update the dimension automatically without having to re-measure.

It would be nice if there was a way of adding a note to a parameter function - i.e. a good description of what the formula does and what it effects.

It would be nice if there was a way of adding a note to a parameter function - i.e. a good description of what the formula does and what it effects.

Just add a comment to the end of your expression. Use the double slash "//" to start a comment. For example, you could have "p6=(LENGTH MEASUREMENT(1))/3 //this divides an arc". Just make sure the comment is at the end of the expression.

Hi all,
Walkersea's and Cowski's replies are perfect. I'd just like to add a small "caveat":
when you use a measure parameter in a function which employs the internal parameter "t", the measure param will be used with its initial value regardless of the variation of "t" throughout the function.
For example, let's say you have a law curve depending on "t", which drives a feature where a measure param is placed; in its turn, this measure param is used in another law curve: well, in this case the second law curve won't follow the variation of the first, because the measure param it contains will remain "blocked" at the value it had when it was first evaluated...
Very strange thing of NX2, maybe this has been enhanced in NX3 and further...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back