Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UK Statutory Requirements for Cable Installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

daKlone

Electrical
Jul 25, 2001
GB
Hi,

Having waded through a number of standards, I was wondering if anyone had a definitive list (or link to such) of the statutory (ie legal) requirements that apply when installing cabling (and equipment) in the UK?

Obviously BS7671, the 16th Edition Wiring Regulations apply and are mandatory, but is there anything else?

TIA,
dK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a lot of other standards, depending on the application. You don't give enough information about the boundaries you're working within:

BS7671 only covers low voltage installations. It does not include hazardous areas, which have their own set of regs. It does not cover mines & quarries, which also have their own set of regs. There are standards for earthing. Etc, etc...

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Scotty,

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps my question was too general. Our normal operations involve low-voltage power installations, audio and data comms. These are not in any special conditions (such as mines or explosive atmospheres).

The 16th Edition has a list of referenced standards and of statutory regulations - I am concerned that there are other statutory regulations that may apply that are not called up here.

Regards,
dK

The main regulation that you have to comply with (and the one that they will take you to court for 'failure to comply with') is the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back