Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get Break out section in drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gokulkrishna

Mechanical
May 30, 2013
HK
Hi,

I'm unable to get the break out section view in drafting. A dialog box appears while selecting the command which says that lightweight drawing views are not supported for break out sections. What should be the base point, even after selecting the extrusion vector it doesnt allow to select the profile about which the the break out section is required. If the reason is beacause of the lightweight model please let me know how go around this.

Also while preparing a model I'm unable to constrain a line or circle to the edges of the model created prior to the sketch even after selecting the different filters. But I'm able to constrain the line with the edges while in Sheetmetal mode.

Thanks In Advanve.
Gokulkrishna Goli

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I should have caught that as you did mention "lightweight" views which were not supported until NX 8.5.

Select the view that you wish to create the break-out in, press MB3, select the 'Style' option and open the 'General' tab. If the 'View Configuration' field ia NOT 'greyed-out', then change it from 'Smart Lightweight' to 'Exact'. However, if it is greyed-out, then you'll need to delete the view and recreate it making sure that you use the 'Exact' option.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

How are you creating the Sketch Profile, in the context of the Drawing or the view?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I've tried drawing a circle directly on the view and also from insert -> sketch on sheet -> and then a circle. But still cant select the circle.

Forgot to mention. I created a master model then throud part families created the child / clones and I'm currently using one of the child part as reference for drafting.

Thanks
Gokulkrishna Goli

Did you first select the 'view', press MB3 and then select the 'Active Sketch View' option before you "...tried drawing a circle directly on the view..." ?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Hi,

After too many trial and error, I got rid of the Lightweight dialog box. Also I selected the view and then Selected Expand, drew a basic curve and then called it from the break out command, got the result I wanted. But still I'm unaware to how I should tackel this lightweight problem if it occurs in future.

Also while preparing a model I'm unable to constrain a line or circle to the edges of the model created prior to the sketch even after selecting the different filters. But I'm able to constrain the line with the edges while in Sheetmetal mode.

Thanks & Regards,
Gokulkrishna Goli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back