Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get dimensions for individual plies separately 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaeeqRana

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2016
PK
thread327-286047
Hi, I am using CATIA V5 for composite modeling on curved surface. I am using grid method for modeling, in manufacturing module I am unable to get dimensions for individual plies separately.In reality Plies in one laminate must have different dimensions due to curvature. (Inner most ply must have smallest dimension). Kindly help me out in this regard. Secondly how can I manipulate Title block in Composite Ply book ?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use Prepregs. If we have 3 to 4 layers and staggering and excess material is not required, can we use flattening feature directly without using composite manufacturing feature? Can we use FEFLATTEN in producibility for carbon fiber ?

You can use unfold function but remember this will act different from composites flattening. Flattening in composites works directly with defined material properties such as steering angle. To get better results use composites workbench. Yes you can use FEFLATTEN. I personally like this solver.
We use composites for both prepregs and wet lay-up.

Thank you. Is it possible to flatten core material like Honey comb? I am not staggering my plies as no. of plies are very small. Would it make any difference in flattening or export xml file ? Don't you think that prepregs are better option ?

For core flattening i use unfold option (available inside surfacing workbench). This option works pretty well for honeycomb and rohacell.
Plies flattening option not designed for cores.

For a small number of plies you can not to use composites workbench. Just use excel to create lay-up table or whatever table.
There is one advantage in composites workbench and this is plies direction. You don't have such opportunity if you use surfacing.

It's hard to answer what is a better option. It depends on application and part type/class. First of all think of a price....

p.s never use sheet metal option for cores flattening.

Ok Thank you so much. I am talking about staggering option in composite manufacturing after material excess. If you stagger your plies group a manufacturing point is shown under ply in side tree. If you don't stagger your plies, no point is shown.
Yeah you are absolutely right depends upon application and cost is also a major factor.
Thank you I was thinking to use sheet metal option[surprise].
BTW why sheet metal option should not be used ?

I don't use SM because it behaves different from unfolding. SM designed for metals and that is why i get differences in flatten geometry between SM and unfold. I already checked that on several complex parts. Unfold is my choice.

What do you mean by staggering point? Isn't it seed point? If it's yes then it is important to use seed point during lay-up process but only on complex shapes. There are two ways to show seed point:
1. Laser projection
2. Ply book/production file that will show approx location of seed point (this method requires some modifications in drawing standard).

With a simple shapes it's not so critical. Anyway start with producibility analysis. Take a look at colors. Yellow let's say is ok (but requires some attention), red means that you have to start pay attention (compression or tension).

I don't use this for wet/prepregs layups. For FAP technology this may be useful but not for hand layup.
By shearing angle you can see how prepreg behaves at different areas using different seed point. This analysis helps to get more accurate flat patterns.

Regarding drawing standard you have to set to display seed point/curve on. After view creation you'll see that point on drawing. This is the only way to show seed point to guys on a shop floor without laser projection.

OK Thanks a lot. In case of Hand Lay up, Does a seed point placed on other than corners of ply renders it impractical, as you can not start placing ply in mold from center or somewhere else ? Or am I understanding it totally wrong ?

Hi Jenial, I need some help regarding drafting. I modified existing macro for title block, but was not unable to control frame and title block line thickness and font, searched on net and found your code for line thickness. Is there any option in CATIA programming to control these parameters, to bold some text in Title Block ?
I modified existing ISO Drafting standard, and created some drawings before this modification, now this standard does not update already drawn dimensions like arrow size, arrow style, Dimension font size, dimension font style, view line thicknes etc. Is there any option to update already existing dimensions to new standard or I have to draw all views and dimensions again ?
Anxiously waiting for your reply.
Thanking in anticipation.

Hi,
You don't have to start from corners. There are some cases when you can't start lay-up from a corner. It depends on a shape.
Post some screens and i'll try to explain where and why seed point should be.

yes you can control text properties using scripts. What programming language do you use? to update existing dimensions use following command T:Dim* (use Catia command for that / right bottom corner). This command will select all the dimensions. what you have to is to press alt+enter to enter properties. Now you can edit everything you want in one shot.

Thank u so much. I will try to upload in a day or two.
I modified existing title block written in VBA. How to bold some text in VBA ?
How to update arrow style, font style as updating standard does not update this ?
Thank you for command, will let u know if I still face some difficulty. Thanks [smile]

Standard style depends on standard XML file. I'll upload a sample code/VBA (text properties) when i'll get back from the vacation. I'll be home next Friday.

I want to write a note like.
Note:
Follow given axis system for plies
I want to bold the word "Note:"
I have assembled composite parts in product file like spars,ribs assembled in product file. Is it possible to mirror these parts in product file using Symmetry command in product module. I tried but was not able to mirror plies. only the on which plies are placed are mirrored. Would u please help in this regard. Thanks

I use following for text creation
Code:
'----GENERAL NOTES----
Set MyText2 = MyDrawingViews.ActiveView.Texts.Add("NOTES:" + Chr(10) + _
                                                        "      1.INTERPRET THIS DRAWING I.A.W. ASME Y14.100M" + Chr(10) + _
                                                        "      2.DIMENSIONS AND TOLERANCES ARE I.A.W. ASME Y14.5M" + Chr(10) + _
                                                        "      3.SURFACE TEXTURE I.A.W. ASME B46.1 AND IN " + Chr(181) + "IN" + Chr(10) + _
                                                        "      4.ALL DIMENSIONS ARE I.A.W. 3D MODEL FILE", 8, 7)
MyText2.Name = "TitleBlock_Text_NOTES"
MyText2.SetFontSize 0, 0, 1.8
MyText2.SetFontName 0, 0, "Century Gothic (TrueType)"
MyText2.AnchorPosition = catBottomLeft
'----END----

I don't know about mirroring of composite parts in the assembly workbench. We don't use that and that is what i recommend to you. Read on this forum about digital buck data and you'll understand why companies don't do that. I'll check for you if it's possible to mirror comp parts in assy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back