Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undercut Help 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardac

Automotive
Feb 5, 2002
GB
I need to undercut a shaft where it mates with the head. Is there an easy way to insert these undercuts or do I have to model each one.
In my MDT6 I could just insert an undercut to whatever standards I had loaded eg. DIN, ISO etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Nardac

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shaft? Head? What are you talking about? Are you talking automotive or what? If you explain a little more, we may be able to help you out; what are you trying to accomplish in other words.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

Sorry, maybe my terminology should have been more precise.

I'm trying to undercut a 'shoulder', the point where one shaft diameter meets another on a turned part. This is common when one shaft diameter needs to be ground to achieve a surface finish or close tolerance, where a thread is present or for a bearing journal.

I hope this explains it a little better

There's no pre-built features for a shaft/head undercut. However, you should be able to copy, then modify, the snap ring groove feature that comes in the design library to suit your needs. Then you can drag and drop. It should take about a 1/2 hour to modify and set up the design table for all your sizes.

TJ

An undercut feature would be good candidate for an Enhancement Request.

The simplest way is probably to do an extrude-cut using the face of the larger dia as the sketch plane, and use the edge of the smaller dia to offset a circle.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Actually the simplest way (if you create the shaft with a revolve) is to include the undercut in the revolve sketch.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Thank all for your help.

Up to now I have created it during the sketch as CorBlimeyLimey suggests, but as I have a large number of shafts with different undercut forms I was looking to see if anything was built into SW that I didn't know was there to automate these.

I will try all your suggestions and see which works the best for me

Thanks again all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back