Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Understanding steel frame 1965 dwg. Numerical value below steel beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC RamE

Structural
Mar 17, 2023
US
Does anyone know that the numbers below a steel beam represents? This is a older building built in 1965. I have ruled out beam elevations (noted else where), shear studs (beams dont have shear studs), moment? (did quick hand calcs).

frame_xs66u4.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could it be the dead load on the beams to design camber for? Back calculating, it's in the range of 150 psf to 180 psf (seems pretty high). The beams collecting the joists do have a lot more load than the ones up and down on the plan.

My guess is that it may be the required beam end moment connection values due to wind (+/-)
The numbers by the beam ends are obviously the shear value required for the shear connection design.
The center numbers appear to relate (proportionally) to the end shear values.

There should be some type of legend or note on the plans somewhere indicating what they are for.

My guess is , (e.g. For the top beam btw 7- 8 )

-14B26 ( light beam with section properties similar to the W14X26 )

- (-2.1/2'') Top of steel 2.5 in. below the stated floor elevation. ( for the TOS level not mentioned , there must be general TOS elevation at related general arrangement plan)

- 14.6 ( Unit should be Kips ) Design shear force for connection design.

- (33.3) Design Bending Moment value for connection design

Not to know is bad;
not to wish to know is worse.

NIGERIAN PROVERB

Thanks everyone for the response. It seems like it is the moment. The value under the beam is approximately WL^2/16. It seems like a simplified moment analysis of a frame with the distributed load as 105psf x tributary length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back