Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uniting a sheet body and a solid body

Status
Not open for further replies.

soheyl81

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2012
CA
I have a solid body that is sitting on top of a sheet body, and I need them to be combined/united/sewn/stitched, so I can later get a continuous mesh in fem. What is the best way to do this in modeling? I know I can combine two solid bodies with unite and sew, and two sheet bodies with sew, but what about one solid and one sheet body?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's what I would do:
1. Extract the faces of the round part: OD, ID, and top face Insert -> associative copy -> extract
2. Put a hole in the sheet body the same size as the OD of the round part. The easy way would be to trim to that face
Insert -> Trim -> trim body -> the flat sheet as the "target" and the extracted OD as the "tool body" -> flip the "direction" if the wrong side got deleted
3. Sew those sheet bodies together ("Hide" the original solid body)
Insert -> combine -> sew

To start with, ALWAYS indicate WHAT version of NX you are using!

But looking at your picture(s) you need to understand that there is NO WAY to combine those two bodies, one a solid and the other a sheet body, into a single body, at least not in NX Modeling. You should just create a shell mesh of both bodies without any overlap and then use the FEM software to 'stitch' the two meshes together.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm using version 8.0. So I need to trim the sheet body by take off the imprint of the OD of the cylinder, leaving me with a sheet body with a hole equal to the size of OD. Then in FEM, stitch the edges of the sheet and solid bodies?

Would I be able to use "Surface coat of 2D elements" instead/in addition to stitching?

I'm not the right person to ask about specific FEM/FEA issues. All I know is that the handling of non-manifold configurations are the responsibility of the 'modeling' (i.e. meshing) tools in the FEM module.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm just guessing based upon past experience with FEA - but I believe you need to think in 2 different ways: 1.) geometry (CAD - solids & sheets) and 2.) FEA (imported solids/sheets & meshes). Within your FEA software you need to combine the mesh of the solid with the mesh of the sheet where they make contact. Leave the geometry (CAD side) alone.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 7.5.4.4 MP2
WinXP Pro x64 SP2
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back