Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Unknown Material Determination 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSmecheng

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2014
CA
I am trying to determine what ASTM, UNS, or DIN, etc. number a certain metallurgical sample has, based on the following composition:

Al: .036
B: <.0005
C: .21
Cr: 1.3
Cu: .15
Mn: .48
Mo: .66
Nb: <.005
Ni: 1.71
P: .066
S: .013
Si: .26
Ti: <.005
V: .26

I have tried searching on several material sites with no success. Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't recognize this as a standard grade: Mo is quite high at 0.66 and V at 0.26. Is this a gear or similar machine design type of component?

This is 21CrMoV5-7 (1.7709) according to EN 10269 Steels and nickel alloys for fasteners with specified elevated and/or low temperature properties. It is used for similar service conditions as ASTM A193 Grade B7.

There are specs for similar service (A193 for one), but they don't contain similar alloys.
Grades such as 1.7709 and 1.7710 (and many more) are well outside of alloy compositions that you will find in the US.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Ah, yes, Maui is correct. Grade 41NiCrMo7-3-2 is in the row right above 21CrMoV5-7 and I saw it's Ni composition (1.65 to 2.00) not the correct one (0.60 maximum). This does not appear to be a standard grade.

Maui (Materials) said:
7 Oct 14 11:01
Based on the carbon content it looks like a carburizing grade of steel. It is likely a European designation. It looks very similar to 18NiCrMo7-6. See the chemistry for this grade below:

So the Aluminum, sulfur and silicon are contaminates from recycling some original iron product, or some mix of consumer products?

No, the silicon is an intentional addition to deoxidize the steel, while the aluminum is added to refine the austenitic grain structure. Sulfur is an impurity leftover from the orginal iron ore, or from recycled scrap. While most steel in North America comes from electric arc furnaces, the reverse is true in Europe.

Once you add over 0.02% Al you are assured of fine grain structure.
Si, even at these levels isn't just left over but very deliberate. It has an impact on phase balance and solidification.
It is an odd steel, so many of the additions look to be fighting against each other.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

hi,
by using a calibrated XRD analysis device you will very quickly reveal right type of material this is assuming that it is properly grinded down to clean surface where you will perform the measurement (the top surface must be 100% free of foreign matters)

Kjell Grønvold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back