Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

unlevel flooring for a means of egress

Status
Not open for further replies.

markabra

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2011
US
Is there a specific NFPA code that I can refererence as to the level of consistency that needs to be maintained for a floor to be in compliance with code for an egress/exit way?

If found an unlevel flooring condition at a required exit that I can't believe would be in compliance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NFPA 101 has it, but most likely the applicable code would be International Building Code. Both have such requirements.

In the sections regarding means of egress.

Real world knowledge doesn't fall out of the sky on a parachute, but rather is gained in small increments during moments of panic or curiosity.

Is this in the egress path, the exit, or the level of exit discharge? It makes a major difference.

I see this is your first post so is the condition in the US or elsewhere?

This is within the egress path.
The flooring has buckled and there is a distinct 1/4" rise due to cracked floor tiles. I'm trying to reference somewhere in the code where it distinguishes that the floor level has to be maintained at a consistent elevation. Right now, it's a tripping hazard.

The answer is in IBC Section 1003.5, elevation change. If you change elevation over a distance of 12 inches or less, the floor needs to be sloped.

Just as a point of reference, there are three distinct parts that form the means of egress. You can of course look up the official definitions, but this is my layman's version of them:

1. Exit access - all spaces between you and the rated stairwell or exterior door aka the "exit". Spaces that are not normally occupied do not form part of the exit access, at least per NFPA 101.

2. The exit - the point where you enter a space that provides a protected from fire/smoke means through which you will eventually reach a public way. The exit can be a rated stairwell, a rated horizontal exit (corridor), an exterior door, etc.

3. The "exit discharge" - after leaving the exit, the exit discharge is between you and the public way. This is for example an open street or space of sufficient distance that you would go to and avoid fire exposure after escaping the building.

What you are talking about occurs in the exit access portion of the means of egress.

The level of exit discharge is the floor (basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor etc) of the exit. Therefore the level of exit discharge is unrelated to the levelness of your exit discharge. :)

Incidentally, I am sure IBC is the applicable code, but NFPA 101 section 7.1.6.2 does provide some intellectually interesting language if you are interested in such things. It allows abrupt changes in elevation up to 1/4" (6.3 mm) with no bevel, and allows abrupt changes greater than 1/4" (6.3mm) but less than 1/2" (12.6mm) if the edge is beveled with a slope of 1:2. Anything over 1/2" shall be considered a ramp.

Hope this helps

Real world knowledge doesn't fall out of the sky on a parachute, but rather is gained in small increments during moments of panic or curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back