Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS batteries failed to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jing 123

Mining
Oct 28, 2021
AU
HI, I got a EATON 10KVA UPS and a string of 32 external batteries(13V normal voltage) in operation for 3 years. The other day it lost the input power, the UPS should switch to battery mode and supply the load but it didn't actually. it seems the batteries are empty. I measured the voltage is 430V which is good. The internal resistance is measured as well that is varied from 8 milliohm to 13 milliohm, I know they are deteriorated. But why they can't hold the output for even some seconds? Why the battery mode didn't work at all?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It could be a failure in the UPS as well - check the capacitors to see if any of them are domed or leaking. It might be in the control circuitry rather than the power handling portion.

Are you sure it wasn't on bypass?

No way for us to diagnose remotely.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Does anyone of an inexpensive source for good UPS batteries? Replacing them is almost as expensive as buying a new one. I have about half a dozen of them 'scattered' around the house. Not a sparky, but is there an easy manner to check to see how good the batteries are?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Did,

I would just try and see what happens when you cut the power to each one when you have just a dumb load like a heater. You might need to let the batteries cycle once or twice to see if they recover.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks... they are on switched circuts and if I disconnect them, they click into play... just don't know how long... will try to find out.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back