Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina a

Bioengineer
Jan 10, 2018
US
Hi,

I need to run an analysis in Abaqus where a rod is supposed to be placed inside a cylindrical object which is at a certain distance from the rod. Half of the rod's length should be inside the cylindrical hole. Is this procedure possible to simulate in Abaqus? If yes, can anyone give some guidance regarding the use of proper connectors and steps? I really want to figure out a way for this. Also, please let me know if the question is not clear. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Thank you. Actually I simplified my question. I am trying to simulate a surgery. Top part of the rod should be first put into the pedicle screws and then tightened. After this, the bottom part of the rod should be put inside the cylindrical object. If the cylindrical object has length of say 6cm, then 4cm of the bottom part of the rod should be inside the object. During this, surgeons generally hold the upper portion and put the cylindrical part inside the rod.

Hi IceBreakerSours,

Thanks for your response. My advisor is not into finite element analysis so I have to figure out on my own. Since I am new to this, if you can give some ideas or give info about articles related to this kind of surgical simulations if you know about them, it would be really helpful for me. I have searched but did not find any. Thanks again.

IF you are new to FEM, have little to no face-to-face help, and, obviously, expect your model to work correctly in a short span of time so you can write up your thesis. If I were you, I would have my thesis focus changed to something else before I waste too much of my time.

That said, what is the exact surgical procedure you are trying to simulate? YouTube is a good resource so point us to a video. I am hoping a clinician is guiding you.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Thank you. I have copied the link below. No clinician is guiding me, I have been looking various videos and several papers for understanding what the procedure involves. Basically, I want to simulate placement of rods into the screws and connector (as seen in the video) from a certain distance and then apply distraction. I told I am new as in I have not simulated surgery before. I am thinking to use translator connector for placing the rods to the screws. My main concern is how to place the connector inside the rod and after placing everything, how to apply distraction.

Which device are you actually trying to simulate? Can you point us to an instruction for use (IFU) document for the device? Also, why are you simulating it? What is the purpose of the model? How do you plan on using the model's predictions? How will you ensure the model is credible? Are there experimental results to compare your results against? Or, are you simply comparing the 'performance' of a device in a few in situ conditions?

Depending on what you want to do, this could take months - easily - even for someone who knows what they are doing and with help! Please know that FEM is not CAD! Pushing buttons is easy; getting results you understand takes enormous effort.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Yes, the things you told is totally true. Also, I have thought about all those questions which you are asking about. Without thinking about those things there is no point in doing any kind of work. And I do know it is going to take a lot of time. I simplified the question in beginning because I will first simplify the model and look how it works before directly jumping into the whole surgical procedure. Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back