Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[Urgent] Selecting elements in Mesh Part (Orphan Mesh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowWarrior

Civil/Environmental
Aug 21, 2006
AU
I have created a mesh part and trying to make an element set from a specific region of the part, I have used the select "by Angle" but it only selects the outer elements. Is there any way I can select the inner elements as well? Please note that Selecting Individually is not an option as the pillar has elements inside the joint.

Image of the part, the cross section of the pillar is shown on the left -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mhhh, I'm not seeing a simple solution. Maybe this helps in some way:

- You can use a polygon shaped drag box. It can be activated in the Selection toolbar. See A/CAE Manual 6.3.5 Modifying the shape of the drag-select region
- You can extend the selected region with attached region. Select something, then do a right-click in an empty area and select "Add adjacent entities".
- You can not only extend the selection by angle, but also by topology.

@Mustaine3, "Add adjacent entities" selects some extra elements inside the joints. Selection by topology is not selecting the regions I want to select.

@cooken, I am not quite an expert in Python scripting, Abaqus/CAE is preferred to me.

I am stuck with this problem for weeks, I would really appreciate it if somebody can provide a solution.

In your previous threads you were initially working with geometry for these models.

Are you creating the mesh part(s) from geometry?

If so, can you define node/element sets on the geometry and they should be maintained in the mesh part(s).

Thank's Dave, It worked! I created the Sets on Geometry and they got transferred in mesh parts. Upon merging the mirrored mesh parts, the sets got merged too.

I thnak all of the members that replied, this has been a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back