Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User defined symbols in UG18

Status
Not open for further replies.

udroiul

Mechanical
May 28, 2002
DE
Hi all,

I'm wondering if exist a method to create an user defined symbol with a text that can be edited after the symbol was inserted in a drawing.
If anybody know something about that, please tell me.

Thanks,

Laurentiu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

User Defined Symbols are fixed once they have been created. The only way to have a varaiable text symbol is to use GRIP or UG/Open API. If the symbol is simple and the text is a fixed length, this is easy to create in GRIP.
Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Hi,
You might need to use U-Func(UG Grip/UG Open) for this! This would allow you to run a User Function for the text that you need to place.
Since User Defined Symbols cannot be edited once you place it.
Regards

Hi Laurentiu

It could be maked if when you create the new user defined symbol in the library, you choose for the text type who you insert in the symbol, arbitrary or controled type.
[pipe]
(Salut! daca ai probleme trimite-mi un mail la adrian.caltun@mail.com)

Bringing up the dead here,
Is this still functionally the same in NX?

We are looking to append a user defined symbol to dimensions and labels (to define them as "critical characteristics"). If the dimension or label is moved, the symbol will move with it. However, there needs to be a text field within the symbol that is a number that references a definition in a table/chart.

We are currently on v18, but will be upgrading to NX2 in the next month or two.

Any suggestions or alternate methods are appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff Towles
TCEng Administrator/Senior Designer
Schlage Lock/Ingersoll-Rand

How many symbols do you usually have per drawing?
If you only have a few (1-5), it might be just as easy to define them as separate symbols and then have the designer append the proper one.
I would guess that with a Ug/Open API program you could even get it to append them sequentially as you pick the dimensions.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks Ben.
There is no set number of symbols per drawing. It could be zero, it could be 5, it could be 15. We weren't looking for a symbol that would be controlled sequentially by a program. Just a symbol that had a modifiable text field that could be associated to the dimension or label.
I tried creating them in NX2 and they work the same way as v18. Doesn't look like we'll be able to append them without some programming and no one here has that level of expertise. We'll probably just go with the custom symbol and teach the users to remember to move the symbols if they move the dimension or label.

Jeff Towles
TCEng Administrator/Senior Designer
Schlage Lock/Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back