Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User defined symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

rep001

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2006
US
Does anyone know how to make user defined symbols. I want to create somethind kinda simular to a DELTA with a letter or number in it. I cant find anythind in the help files.

Thanks
Robert

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tred using ID Symbols? Go to Insert > Symbol > ID Symbol, then select the "Triangle with Point Up". You can enter any characters to go inside the triangle.

It's easier to use a user defined symbol if you need it as part of a note or label, or if it needs to be added to the BOM or a table. If you need a the symbol just by iteslf, then an ID symbol is probably your best bet, though.

Al Griego

rep001,

Did you search for 'user defined symbols' in the NX4 documentation? I did and got all the info you need. Search on the phrase above, without the quotes then select result #5 from the results that appear. It should say "User-Defined Symbols". Click the link and everything you need to know should display.

Now, with all of that said, are you just wanting a triangle with a number inside it (centered)? If so, take red5cad's advice and use an ID Symbol. You can make the origin relative to Text if needed and it will behave as if it's part of the Text block.

Since the advent of the Origin tool, I've completely quit using User-Defined Symbols.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Thanks boldfish, and all the other. I followed the instructions to the letter and it failed!!! Then I did it again and it worked fine. just what I needed. It was my fault: REMEMBER no spaces or funny charicters in the name.

on a side note: I did a search on here (eng-tips) and nothing came up. infact, nothing I search for ever shows up. what am I doing wrong?

Eng-tips search has been broken for some time now, fortunately the google site search option works pretty well. The google option will return results from all of eng-tips, to refine the results add a keyword from the forum that you are interested in. In this case if you search on 'Unigraphics user defined symbol' it will restrict results to those from the UG forum (for the most part).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back