Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User moving from GM NX to Ford Catia.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzza

Automotive
Jul 16, 2009
NL
Hey guys,

I'm a reasonably fluent CAD designer having previously work for GM for a number of years as a designer on NX. I am now looking to move over to Ford using Catia, I have done some basic training that is available through Catia agents locally but im looking for any information about how Ford actually uses the program, things like structures for linking geometrically symmetrical parts, linking of design surfaces to part models and general modelling strategies. In an initial interview we ended up discussing CAD modelling strategies, at GM with NX we would "chunky solid" most part models, start with a large solid and whittle it down to the required component by subtracting or uniting tool solids and trimming to surfaces, but the guys I was speaking to said that this was not how things were done at Ford using Catia.... can anyone elaborate on this for me?

Thanks
Az

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All company's internal processes are intellectual property and shouldn't be shared on the public web. I am sure if they hire you, you will be trained in their ways.

I understand that specific company processes are tightly held secrets and would not expect anyone to discuss deep dark secrets in a public forum! I was more trying to get an understanding of the different modelling methodologies and geometry linking methods used between NX and Catia. I am sure there must be other users that have gone through this transition that can share their experience.

Thanks for you reply!

Hi Azza,

In caita we start from sketch ( typically the front view ),then start building the features one by one.we use both solid and surface modules to get the required shape ( hybrid design ). we also use boolean operations with multiple bodies to arrive at the required complex shapes.

Regarding links between files:
A product file is linked with its child parts and any changes happening in the part is updated in the assembly file which contains it automatically.

a drawing carries a link with its corresponding part/product and updated accordingly.

Daimler uses cvd methodology (multi body methodolgy ) for modeling any part.all the features are contained in their corresponding bodies and get automatically updated once any changes are made to the features inside the body.

Hope it helps.

My sincere advise is, when you start working on Catia, erase NX from your mind and go ahead. Never try to compare how you build models in NX to V5

you don necessary start with sketch, depends on product you work.

1) No layers here (actually there are, but not worth using), see how you can use Geo sets instead of layers.
2) Its not ordeal structure in V5 like NX. ( you do not necessarily follow Bottom up/ Top bottom methods)
3) All the commands (most of) that you have in NX, you have them them v5 too( license matters). Try finding them.
4) SPEND TIME ON PART DESIGN work bench, and get familiar. You will get to a point where you would need some surfaces , then switch to GSD and play over there.

its would take 2 weeks to digest and you would feel annoyed, believe me V5 is much stronger in dynamic product development environments. Good luck and welcome to CATIA WORLD..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back