Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using bar stock to make pressure vessel flanges 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bssem

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2004
CA
Can bar stock material (per ASME sec. II - say SS316L per ASME A 479) be used to make flanges in pressure vessels per ASME B&PV std.? I have notes in ANSI B16.5 that only Forgings / Castings & Plate Stock is Permitted.
Pl. Comment.
Thank-you in advance for your suggestions.
bssem

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The answer is a conditional, yes. One of the accepted material specifications listed in ASME 16.5 is SA/A-182. You need to go back and review ASME SA-182 or ASTM A-182. Scope 1.2 of SA-182 conditionally allows for bars supplied under SA 479 to be used provided it is limited to a weight of 10,000 lbs.

Thank-you metengr,
WOW.. does it mean that we could use barstock per SA 479 when we specify SA 182 on our flanges?
bssem

I probably should have been more detailed in my original response. The answer to your second post is No. You need to carefully review the entire SA-182 Specification titled "Specification for Forged or Rolled Alloy-Steel Pipe Flanges, Forged Fittings, and Valves and Parts for High Temperature Service".

In 4.4 of SA-182, it is clear that flanges of any type are to be made from forgings, in other words they are exempt from using other Specifications. If you go on to read 4.5, it is clear that the finished product specification shall be a forging, as defined in ASTM A-788. SA-479, SA-234 or SA-403 can be used to fabricate small cylindrically shaped parts supplied under SA-182.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back