Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using evaporative (swamp) coolers to provide outdoor air to reverse cycle ducted units

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdikardehi

Mechanical
May 31, 2009
AU
A stupid question for experts here....

As you know it is pretty standard to use outdoor air fans to provide fresh air to the return air plenum of ducted fancoils...

I am wondering whether this is a good thing to use an evaporative cooler instead of a normal fan and turn on the pump during summer and turn it off in winter?

Couldn't find any application for this but really want to hear your opinions on this....pros/cons?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

- Why do you think it is a stupid question?
- What was your goal behind thinking to use the evaporative cooling.
- What are the location barometers and space served by this system.

Well I think its stupid because I have never seen this. But things I see is by using that the reversed cycle units can be sized smaller and there is a big saving in energy consumption and capital cost. Maybe the drains need to be sized bigger?

The space could be any space but I am specifically looking at a pub that can open their doors any time. Using reversed cycle could be a big waste of energy and using evap cooler only makes the indoor uncomfortable at humid days.

try this site for some education
evaporative cooling is a good idea if you have a low dry bulb environment, but you will need larger ducts (more aiflow needed), you may need as much as 20 to 30 Air changes per hour, depending on your ceiling height.
Look at "Indirect/Direct" type evaporative cooling systems literature for your application.
Consider using "dolphin" water treatment system for your make-up water.

Actually, it's not a stupid question, rather, you can say a creative one. It's a good idea to use evaporative cooler instead of normal fan, but you just can't turn on the pump for whole summer as it has chances of bursting. And what refrigerant are we talking about using here. It would be more helpful, if you discuss your project with west palm beach air conditioning technicians who could provide you some better suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back