Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Matlab in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroinspace

Aerospace
Jun 3, 2008
PK
Hello every one!

I am new to both Abaqus and Matlab and i would appreciate if some one can help me a bit in interfacing Matlab with Abaqus. I am doing a buckling analysis of a stiffened panel in the Abaqus and i want to optimize the spacing between the stiffeners using matlab. Abaqus gives an input file .inp but i dont know how to use it. I would be glad if some one can tell me about an example or a clear guide to proceed. (considering i am a newbee). Any literature or link that explains the process wd be helpful indeed.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok,

I did something similiar recently. Took a good effort to get the thing running for different geometry. Depends on what you need exactly.

IN A NUTSHELL:

I would advise you to (assuming you are using CAE) redo everything in CAE and then take a look at the .rpy file (should be in the working directory). These are all the commands you made.

Have MATLAB write this data as a .py (PYTHON) file. Suggest using function 'strcat' to save this text to a variable. Use 'fprintf' to save file. You can update numbers as you wish in here (remember to use 'num2str' when converting, well, numbers to strings). Execute from matlab using 'dos'.

After the job has run (hopefully that was in the .rpy file), open the .msg file using MATLAB (I use the 'getl' function). Then use 'strfind' to find the line where the eigenvalues are. Use 'sscan' to translate this string into vectorized doubles.

Analyze the eigenvalues, and iterate. Ta da!

Very overview, just ask if you have more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back