Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using "Save As" with Teamcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster29

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2008
US
We are running Teamcenter 2005 SR1/2007 with NX5. Often I want to create a new part based on an existing one, by using "Save As" --> "Save As New Item" which works fine. However, if the original part is used in an assembly, the new part will replace the original one in that assembly. I do not want this to happen. How can I prevent it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the product structure is set to precise then the next time that you open the assembly using the PSE it should be back as per original.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Would you mind explaining your answer a bit more? We have a problem here in that we have had very minimal training on using Teamcenter.

The PSE is the product structure editor. It controls how assemblies are defined within the database. One aspect of operating under Teamcentre that you need to get used to is keeping the database in sync with the CAD files and assemblies that are stored underneath it. The database keeps track of where things are used and a certain amount to do with interdependencies like wave linked structures that you create from within NX.

Beyond that I would strongly urge that all users have some brief introductory training whereas at most sites somebody is in charge of coordinating your Teamcenter implementation and that person benefits from extensive training and should become your go-to guy for these kinds of problems.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

easiest way is to open the part in it's own NX session. What I call isolate the part. Sometimes you may want the part to be replaced in an open assembly, so that is good too. Rule of thumb though is....if you are doing Save-As, it will affect anything you have open in your session.

Another way to "copy" a part is to use Export > Part which will copy the item in teamcenter, but leave your work part the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back