Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Sentinel with FlexLM

Status
Not open for further replies.

saarp

Automotive
Apr 17, 2016
IL
Hello.

On my organization we work with NX9 and NX10.
Each desiner has a USB Key (Hardware key) linkeded to license file and Sentinel driver.
In addition we have few floating licenses on FlexLM server.

Is there any way to set an "automatic" sequence for loading NX with Sentinel and if it fails to load it with floating?
I tried to add the following line to the end of the license file of the sentinel key:
SERVER xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ANY 28000

When the USB key is connected, NX works. when it's not connected, it doesn't.

Next, I tried to add the following line (in addition to the "SERVER" mentioned above):
USE_SERVER

Then it uses the floating license and not the USB key, even if the USB key is connected.

Is there any solution for this case? [ponder]
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're going down the wrong track to do what you're after.

Edit the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER variable to point to both the USB key license and the license server (in that order).

Windows Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings (Upper left) -> Environment Variables

Edit the value so you have the USB license path first, then the license server separated by a semi colon.
Image below shows an example, you'll need to use the appropriate path for your license and your license server details.

2016-04-18_15-34-10_ztn1od.jpg

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX10 with almost every MR (29versions)

Unfortunately the environment variable trick doesn't work with some configuration (we have some supplier packages that doesn't read the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER correctly and issues error messages).
Is there any way to use it with license file control?

What are the supplier packages you refer to? I'm guessing something like the GM or Nissan Toolkits?
If that's the case, then they would be setting the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER variable in their startup scripts.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX10 with almost every MR (29versions)

We use GM PDL (Supplier toolkit) and Daimler's supplier package.
The problem is mainly with Daimler (I didn't try GM yet, but we work most of the time on the native NX, and on Daimler's package)
I tried using semicolon, and also tried to use comma. Both doesn't work.
The question is can I use a "master" license file, with 2 lines?

Example:
Master license file: C:\Siemens\License.lic
Dongles license file: C:\Siemens\Dongles.lic
Server license file: C:\Siemens\Server.lic

- Dongles.lic is the license for the USB keys.
- Server.lic will contain the "SERVER" line and the "USE_SERVER".
The question is can I set the License.lic to control the order of servers? something like this (I'm not so familiar with the FlexLM file format, so maybe you can help):
SERVER C:\Siemens\Dongles.lic
SERVER C:\Siemens\Server.lic
USE_SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back