Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Swept Volume to Simulate Gear Hobbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCReynolds79

Automotive
Sep 6, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to make use of DMU Kinematics and Swept Volume (or something else) to simulate gear hobbing to model accurate gears. I know I can model gears in other ways, but I want to know if it is possible this way. In theory, if I can sweep the "Rack" correctly through the gear blank then the involute profile will be perfect.

So far I have a sample Rack and Gear Blank, set up in a mechanism so that the rack Rolls around the gear blank correctly:

gear-hobbing-mech_xz6wjr.png

Then I can create a simulation/Replay of this and create a .model output of the swept path that the surface of the Rack takes. This is where the problem lies. This output Swept Volume is always in many many facets, so is therefore "steppy" and not suitable for simulating machining. Plus it seems REALLY HARD to generate useful CAD data from this .model file:

swept-vol-rack_babf0g.png

swept-vol-rack-close-up_ix55oc.png

If I use the Trace command I can only pick edges or vertices...the output is nice (native at least) but again, not quite usable as a cutting profile. Below is output from pick 3 sides of a tooth:

single-tooth-path_blracw.png

Can anyone advise a better way to do this...or perhaps a way to clean up the .model ...or preferably a way to actually cut into the solid as the Rack sweeps through it (not stepped)?

Look forward to some ideas.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jon Reynolds

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One option is DMO. There is an offset function. The offset value from the CGR will be zero. I've never gotten it to look pretty. But it will smooth out the tessellated data. I don't know enough about cutter path to tell you if this is smooth enough for machining. We only used it for packaging of moving parts.

/k.c.

/k.c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back