Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SWX for Automotive Checking Fixture Designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARM

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2007
CA
Any issues in dealing with imported math data?
Any issues with offsetting surfaces?
Where is there a good source for standard components?

I am new to SWX for checking fixture design. Previously I was using Cimatron 12.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used SW for automotive interior parts.

UG and Pro/E data import is pretty tame. CATIA is a wild bear. We learned it was most cost-effective to have an outside source < translate CATIA files to parasolid for us. The CATIA files were complex auto interior consoles, so import through translators rarely worked well. The time savings of a good, clean translation was worth the cost.

CATIA also has issues w/ holding parallel faces parallel. This is endemic to CATIA, not the result of translation.

Offsetting surfaces not a problem. Only a problem if the surface itself is mathematically not able to be offset or otherwise corrupt.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Thanks All. Very good info.

I'm looking for Hinge Drop & Drop Template CAD files. Mappel, I'm sure you use these components in your designs right?

You're better off making Risers and Angles yourself that way you can use a design table to make configurations for all the different sizes. Then if you find that you need to use a different size in your design you can just change configurations of your part rather than insert a different one.

Also most swing templates use the same components with different size angles so you could do the same thing for those with an assembly file using your angle.

Mappel,
I also found those components at Looks like you folks do good work. Do you design/build fixtures for sheet metal parts too? Is SWX doing a good job in that application?

I'm preparing to design Checking Fixtures (CF's) on contract bases therefore I'm looking for input to help with my transition.

Thanks again.

Mappel,

How are you dealing with CATIA file importing problems? Outsourcing the translation or dealing with it in-house?

Thanks.

We do alot of fixtures for sheetmetal parts and solidworks does great job, you will run into the occasional surface that won't offset or extend the way it's supposed to but you'll have that with any software.

We also have CATIA, and Cimatron so we do all our own translation in-house.

So what is your primary software you design with?
So what is your primary software you CNC program with?

You can do both in Cimatron E but it's expensive software right? Ideally you may only need one CNC programming package and one or more seats of the same design package to supply the CNC programmer.

Perhaps you just have older(unsupported) packages around you still use and people who want to use them right?

Just a side note, you company history sounds very familiar to me. I'm just east of Toronto and there are plenty of shops around. Many of them have closed over the years. It's a tight($$$) business to be in from my experience. You folks look very progressive and that's a good thing.

We have five full time designers using Solidworks 2007, Mechanical Desktop was our primary design software until 2005. We also have 2 full time programmers running Cimatron who also do some designs in Cimatron when we get real busy, but for the most part we use it for programming cutter paths. We also have one full time person handling all our data translation using CATIA and various other design softwares who also does some programming, mostly with his outdated Solutions software. He has a third seat of Cimatron but refuses to learn a new software, but he's one of the bosses so I can't complain.

We looked at going all to Cimatron back in 2004 but the software was not the best for doing designs and it is expensive. All of our software is supported we just got Solidworks 2008 in the mail but we'll most likely wait until at least service pack 1.

I was using SWX until I landed a new job designing CF's. They were using Cimatron 12 and for me it was like going backwards 10 years or more. Wireframe and surfaces plus the drafting end of it was just too painful for me. So after 3 years I left that company. Oh and I forgot to mention that the company owned 2 seats of Cimatron and a third seat(not legal) was what I was using. Bottom line was they weren't ever going to get me a new seat so.... I ended that relationship.

I'm still waiting for my SWX 2008 Premium to arrive. Glad to hear SWX is working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back