Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using wireless for acquisition of accelerometers MEMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanfeust23

Electrical
Feb 16, 2004
CA
Hi,
I use accelerometers MEMS (ADXL202 from Analog Devices) to calculate velocity of a 4 arms robot.
So, I would like to know how I could transmit signals between the robot and PC. I've thought to use (small ... otherwise the MEMS technology doesn't matter ... and low cost) RF wireless but I don't know if it's possible to receive 4 signals with just one receiver.
Another problem is most of RF transmitter/receiver have just a data rate of 5kps and it's not really enough for my application which needs sample per axis each 2ms (alternatively a sample of X axis and then a sample of Y axis may be calculated by microcontroller) with a good enough accuracy(8 bits). In fact, I need at least 8kps.
I've thought to InfraRed transmission, thanks to its high data rate, but it's not possible with my application.
So, could you help me to find a solution to transmit 8kps with RF technology (possible to receive 4 signals with 1 receiver ?) or others solutions ?
I know I am a little unclear, so if you want more information about my application, ask me !
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!
Maybe you should consider developing the transceiver by yourself. Have a look at TRF9000 from Texas instruments-U will find full support for the chip,including layout and software.It supports both the european and US ISM bands and U can select the frequency channels by software. Also have a look at Nordic's transceiver chips. In your case U may find the 2.4GHz transceiver usefull as it is having a high data rate.Other companies that U should consider are National Semiconductor,Philips, Atmel (if I am not wrong they have a 8051 microcontroler+RF transceiver on 900MHz in one chip). If U need power amplifiers have a look at RF Micro devices web page.SAW filters and diplexers U can get from EPCOS.
Most of these companies will offer U free samples for your development.

Regards,
Dimo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back