Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using wireless for acquisition of accelerometers MEMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanfeust23

Electrical
Feb 16, 2004
CA
Hi,
I use accelerometers MEMS (ADXL202 from Analog Devices) to calculate velocity of a 4 arms robot.
So, I would like to know how I could transmit signals between the robot and PC. I've thought to use (small ... otherwise the MEMS technology doesn't matter ... and low cost) RF wireless but I don't know if it's possible to receive 4 signals with just one receiver.
Another problem is most of RF transmitter/receiver have just a data rate of 5kps and it's not really enough for my application which needs sample per axis each 2ms (alternatively a sample of X axis and then a sample of Y axis may be calculated by microcontroller) with a good enough accuracy(8 bits). In fact, I need at least 8kps.
I've thought to InfraRed transmission, thanks to its high data rate, but it's not possible with my application.
So, could you help me to find a solution to transmit 8kps with RF technology (possible to receive 4 signals with 1 receiver ?) or others solutions ?
I know I am a little unclear, so if you want more information about my application, ask me !
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!
Maybe you should consider developing the transceiver by yourself. Have a look at TRF9000 from Texas instruments-U will find full support for the chip,including layout and software.It supports both the european and US ISM bands and U can select the frequency channels by software. Also have a look at Nordic's transceiver chips. In your case U may find the 2.4GHz transceiver usefull as it is having a high data rate.Other companies that U should consider are National Semiconductor,Philips, Atmel (if I am not wrong they have a 8051 microcontroler+RF transceiver on 900MHz in one chip). If U need power amplifiers have a look at RF Micro devices web page.SAW filters and diplexers U can get from EPCOS.
Most of these companies will offer U free samples for your development.

Regards,
Dimo

The Nordic nRF2401 popped into mind. Cypress also has the wireless USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back