Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V-Band flange and Clamp interchangeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korichnevijgigant

Aerospace
Oct 7, 2009
US
Anyone know if the various V-band flange and clamp manufacturers use similar specs on their products, and if they are compatible?

I have a set of V-band flanges on an Exhaust system, and I want to change out what is downstream of the flange, but I need a new one as the original owner ruined the flanges and clamp

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get a Voss catalog. (vossind.com) Measure what's undistorted, and work from there.

There are a lot of different cross-sections available, that are similar but not really interchangeable, even from a single manufacturer.

Get a tube of Silkolene brand water glass, and use that as a sealant when you put it all together. Torque the t-bolt carefully; typically 50 INCH-pounds. Don't overdo it. Don't use the taper of the clamp to bring the flanges together; they need to fit right _before_ you tighten the clamp.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Korichnevijgigant,

Most V-band clamps are designed for 20deg/side flanges. For a given flange diameter, there can be several different clamp widths for different flange thicknesses.

Measure the flange diameter, pipe diameter and single flange thickness, and then call around. You can get exhaust system stainless flange weld stubs and clamps from places like Burns Stainless or Stainless Works.

Hope that helps.
Terry

Thanks

that helps out.

I talked to the manufacturer of my system, and he said they used spd exhaust flanges,
they list the flange thickness as 0.150"

unfortunately, none of the other places I have found will answer me about the specs on their flanges, or I get stupid responses like this one I got this morning
"We just sell the item with excellent quality and competitive price , if you want it just buy and pay , thanks"

Marmon Flange vs. Vee flange
Is a 'Marmon' flange a particular style of a vee flange (and clamp system)? ... or is the name Marmon, generic and interchangable with a whole family of flanges and vee clamps. I've heard of bell shaped formed ends of tubing referred to as a marmon flanges, sometimes with straight sides, sometime with angled sides. I see references to machined flanges also referred to as Marmon flanges. Just wondering if there is a more distintive definition to a Marmon Flange.

Wicsteve,

Marman is a generic term. The Marman Company does not exist any more. I believe they have been part of Aeroquip for many years.

All of the metal band type clamps and flanges I've seen use a tapered flange. The flange taper is necessary for keeping the joint tight. The clamps themselves are made from formed sheet metal or machined. I have also seen, as you described, thin walled tube ends expanded and rolled over to form the tapered flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back