Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

V-Belt drive selection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovison

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2002
US
Let's assume I have three identical pumps but all operating at three different speeds. 1620 RPM, 1080 RPM and a low one at 360 RPM. I'm sure I could belt drive the upper two but the lowest one the drive would be odd looking and expensive.

Should I consider going to a 1200 RPM on the lowest speed in order to reduce the size and cost of the drive.

I'm talking a small 5HP motor so the cost difference between the 1800 and 1200.

Is there a rule of thumb for drive sizing where speeds get so low that you have to go to a lower speed motor?

Rule of thumbs will work for this application anything you could provide would be helpful.

Wayne

Wayne E. Lovison
service-parts@naglepumps.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lovison,

As I recall good belt drive design does not allow ratios above 4:1. You may want check this out with one of the belt/pulley suppliers.

Lovison,

Since the are identical, the power required required for the slowest one would be very small. With the small power requirement, I expect that an greater than normal ratio could still function adequately. A nominal 1200 rpm motor should work for this.

The 1080 rpm pump driven by a 1200 rpm motor shoukd work very well since the ratio is very modest.

The 1620 rpm pump driven from the 1200 rpm motor could be bit of a concern due to the much greater power consumption and the speed increase involved.

What kind of application is involved? Is this for some sort of display or demonstration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back