Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V5 Move part bodies using compass, in x y z direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleske

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2006
US
Hey all!

I've been having a problem where I try to move a part body, in a part, using the compass, but the body doesn't move in the direction I want it to go. I place the compass on or near the body, make that body active, I want to move it x amount in 'W' direction, but when I click the arrow to move it, it goes in, say the 'U' or 'V' direction. Why does it do this, and can I set something up so it takes the compass as the over riding factor in the move. I'm guessing it has something to do with the origin of the part itself, but that's just speculation on my part. any help would be great.

Thanks,

Sean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More than likely it has to do with your sketch.

Even more specifically, this generally tends to happen when you position on sketches that are either the PartBody origin planes, (xy, yz, xz) or implicit features (faces) that are located on the origin planes. Otherwise, if not located on the origin, a sketch will translate, but you will also move the geometry in the model with it.

Regardless, though, the only way that you can translate sketch in all degrees of translation, is if the sketch is located on an isolated plane.

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

After you have dropped the compass onto the body, right click on the compass and select 'Use Local Axis System' this will orientate the compass relative to the model axis system so that the compass U, V and W will correspond to the model X, Y and Z axis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back