Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vaccum Table Workholding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2002
GB
Hi, Im looking for information and techniques for using a vaccum table for machining mostly aluminium, tips to prevent mat'l, warping. speed & feed + depth of cut comparisons for cutting Steel, Titanium, Ally. Im finding small components are no problem although im wary of going full throttle incase job moves. A large 3mm ally plate with a tight flatness Tol, came off like a banana, although very funny at the time i do not wish to repeat.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear friend,
we have more experiences with vacuum table and clamping. WE CUT 5 X 2 METERS SKIN FOR Aerospace. We cut sheet´s parts with holes on vacuum (this is not miracle) If you are interested in more information let me know.
Regards Libor

This topic is of interest to me also re cutting delrin in pieces up to 19 x 26 ". If anyone replying to 86357's post could help in this regard it would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Hey! PIRKO,

If you do not mind I could use info on vaccum fixtures.
I would like to build my own and have build 2 but would like to find a way to use them for various jobs.
I have checked out the VAT-MAT ,but the price is way out of line for the number of times that I will use them.

Thanks
Joe

Dear JOE,
I know Witte. We use vacuum pump from Witte. VAc-Mat is very expensive. We use MDF boards for clamping sheets parts .
I don´t know how you tell in USA. This is paper pressure board. This boards are semileaky. WE use MDF board for parts which is cut throug. For parts which is not cut through we use ALU table with droove. Regards Libor

Hi! Pirko,Knobhead,MachineDude and everyone else

Thank you for the info you guys posted in
reply to my post.
I will pursude all leads.

Have a Great Day
Joe

I've made a number of vacuume fixtures and I've found that the size of the holes really makes the difference. 1/32 dia works well...about a hundred thou apart
Also when programming, use HSM, large removal rates through light cuts. That way you are not inducing stress back into the work piece and not bulldozing the part around on the fixture
pocket with trochoidal tool paths!!!!
Hope this helps
Jim

PIRKO,

My friend,I am having a hard time finding this MDF board.
There are many kinds of this material.
If you or anyone else can offer any info to find this
material,please let me know.

Thank You in advance for the help
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back