Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vacuum relief from steam collapsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diborane

Chemical
May 3, 2005
FI
Could you all discuss vacuum relief due to steam 'collapsing' (condensing) in a tank not protected for full vacuum, which does not have an open connection to atmosphere?

Vacuum protection from pump out, drain out, thermal vacuum, all seem to have relatively small vacuum relief flows compared to steam collapsing in the vessel.

For the steam collapsing case there is a credible scenario in which the tank could be filled with the steam. There is also a credible scenario where cold water could flow into the vessel.

Lets assume a vessel is filled with steam at 212 deg F and there is a flow of 250 gpm of water a 60 deg F into the vessel.

The most conservative method to calculate this is 250 gpm * 8.34 lb/gal* (212 F - 60 F) = 316920 BTU removed/min.

316920 BTU/min / 970 BTU/lb = 326 lb/min of steam * 26 ft3/lb = 8500 ft3/min of air through vacuum protection.

If your tank is rated for only 4" of water column you are talking about many vacuum breakers.

The problem I see with this method is it assumes that heat is transferred instantly to the water as it flow in and the temperatures reach equilibrium. I would think the rate of steam collapse/heat transfer is dependent on the amount of surface area that the cold water is in contact with the steam. A fine spray of water would condense more steam than a stream of water.

The second problem is that with that air inflow rate even if your tank is 100,000 gallons the steam would totally be replaced < 2 minutes.

I know enough to diagnose my problem that I am incorrectly calculating the rate at which the steam could possibly condense, however I do not know enough to accurately calculate what the real rate would be.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that the difficulty of determining a reasonable rate is the reason that "steam out" and "rated for full vacuum" go together. Granted that is just my experience. Maybe some of the others have a more involved picture.

Regards
Stonecold

Stonecold: That is a definate consideration for the future. I want full vacuum or at least more than inches of water column in the future.

25362: Thank you for the link. Its ironic that someone asked the same exact question only like an hour after I did. Perhaps one of the mechanical engineers I asked for help...

I think katmar provided an excellent response in the referenced thread as to the rate of condensation. You can assume very effective mixing of the cold water with the steam; it's quite close to reality.

The real question is why would the tank ever be filled with steam? It is very dangerous to allow steam to flow into an atmospheric tank. Why would you do so? If the tank is not well insulated, even a rainstorm could cause a rapid collapse in pressure. If there is a real need, then I'm afraid you will not be able to use an atmospheric tank. Switch to an ASME pressure vessel (at considerable expense) or find a way to live without the steam. I don't think there are any other options.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back