Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validity Period of PQR's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLamberson

Petroleum
Dec 2, 2006
US
This question was asked in a previous thread, but the author never followed up with enough information to close it. I have encountered the same issue on a project.

There are 2 subprojects within the project, 1 is structural fabrication to AWS D1.1 and the 2nd are pipelines to both ASME B31.4 and B31.8.

Is there a time limit on the validity of PQR's?

And my apologies in advance if I've mixed code questions, I know there is an ASME section, but I was hesitant to open 2 threads for the same subject.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only unreasonalbe limitation I know of is D1.5, which says that the PQR has to be less than 60 months old. ASME IX just says that the WPS/PQR has to be in accordance with the 1962 edition or later.

Most welding standards impose no time limitations on the validity of either the PQR or WPS.

As pointed out, there are some exceptions. AWS D1.5 Bridge Welding Code and MIL-W-8604 both have time limitations. AWS D1.5 is only applicable to bridges. Most state DOTs require the WPS to be qualified for their specific project (i.e., they may not accept previous qualification) and MIL-W-8604 isn't used except for work that was designed prior to the release of MIL-STD-2219 or AWS D17.1 for aerospace applications.

WPSs qualified to ASME Section IX are valid until the company closes their doors. Even then, if the company is sold, the welding documentation becomes the property of the new company.

Best regards - Al

With respect to the AWS D1.1 Code, in general the answer is no.

However, the problem you can run into is if the Filler Metal designation changes in a new edition of AWS D1.1 and your PQR was qualified to a previous addition like 1996.

If your contract specifies the AWS D1.1 2006 Edition then some owner Engineers may not approve your WPS/PQR since the AWS Filler metal classification is no longer valid.

Since the above is based on a PQR that was qualified you can request the owner's Engineer to approve it and with an explaination which they usually do. As a minimum you will have to revise the WPS to reflect the current filler metal specification and I would suggest you make a notation that the AWS Filler metal Spec was changed from XXXX to YYYY.

Regards,

Allen
Sindel & Associates

gets old and shall be retired when the PQR is not longer within range,
Most of the tests on SA285C have been "retired"
genb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back