Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Value of learning FEM theory vs mastering engineering 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjaneer777

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2010
Given that each engineer only has a finite amount of time, how would you rate the value of learning the FEM theory vs mastering engineering principles?

I could see the answer varying depending on what your job is, Designer, Analyst, Researcher, but I think it would be interesting to get a variety of perspectives on this.

Essentially, what is going to give you the most return on your time?

I read a lot of threads about people really getting into the intricacies of FEM theory and I wonder how much of an impact that will actually have on results. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy learning everything I can about FEM theory but I often find myself realizing that my engineering mechanics studies prove 100 times more practical.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you gave up after only two hours ? but agreed, analyzing complicated fittings is best left to test (and designed with sense that there is good weight)

rb1957 said:
you gave up after only two hours ?

Yes, and quite frankly, I should have given up sooner. Some parts lend themselves well to manual analysis; the part in question did not.

I guess it basically boils down to personal preference and what comes naturally to the individual. Using Roark's never felt natural to me.

ninjaneer777 said:
I read a lot of threads about people really getting into the intricacies of FEM theory and I wonder how much of an impact that will actually have on results.

I guess ultimately, insights gained from an FE model are only useful if they result in meaningful additions to the manufacturing drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back