Valve Box lid 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARose

Structural
Mar 17, 2011
US
I don't know if this is right forum.....but here goes:

I've had a piping designer give me a valve box for fire protection which I have to incorporate in my elevated slab and I have to come up with a lid thickness based on live load traffic in the area.

Since this is something that would have to be lifted by the fire department in a emergency.....I would assume there is a limit for weight (to be lifted by hand). So my question is: what is that limit? If this helps (as far as code goes), this is in Connecticut.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No requirement in NFPA 24 or NFPA 13 establishes a weight limit for a valve box lid. Connecticut adopts NFPA 1, Fire Code and it references NFPA 24 for the design and construction of private fire service mains. Can the design be adjusted so the valve box isn't located on a fire department access road? I don't enough about your project to determine if it's a viable option.

WARose,

I'm not aware, as stookeyfpe has pointed out, of a hard and fast weight limit for the valve box lid.

NFPA 24 simply states in section 6.4.2 that "Where used, valve pits shall be of adequate size and accessible for inspection, operation, testing, maintenance, and removal of equipment contained therein." Here's an excerpt from NFPA 24, which can be viewed for free on NFPA.org if you register with them for a free profile (no subscription required unless you want to do more than just view them).

3-1-2019-7-28-34-AM.jpg

By the "letter of the law," there is some room to apply good old engineering judgement on what is "accessible" - however, this case is a prime example where the opinion of the Authority Having Jurisdiction can and usually will make all the difference. If you or one of your team members has a good rapport with the AHJ, it may save a comment cycle.

Note: OSHA limits one person to lift no more than 50 lbs...may start with that as a basis and see if the AHJ finds that acceptable.

I'm sure it's not the "clean" answer you were hoping for, but good luck.

Use a standard cover as used in a normal street?

What valve is below the cover??

A wheel type valve or do you need a road way valve wrench to turn it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back