Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

valve minimum wall thickness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwyer

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2002
CA
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the minimum wall thickness required for a check valve. I am using the formula from ASME B31.1-1995 edition, "minimum wall thickness for a staight pipe under internal pressure", Paragrah 104.1.2.

I want to verify some valve designs done in the past.

Is this the correct formula, if not please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Dwyer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want it to comply to ASME Code, use table 3 of B16.34. Choose the class of valve you are looking to verify( eg.150#, 300# etc.), the inside diameter of the body bore and the table will give you the minimum wall thicknesses. B16.34 also gives you the maximum pressure/temperatures a given material can be used at.

You will find that the table has a margin of safety that is much higher than your calculations for pipe. This is mainly due to the table being designed around the weakest of acceptable materials.

Thanks for replying to my question.

However, I do not have access to the DIN 2840 standard or even the ASME B16.34 code.

Are these available online or is it possible to send me a copy of the section that pertains to valve minimum wall thickness.

Thanks,

Dwyer

Just to be precise: the relevant European standard is DIN 3840 (VALVE BODIES; STRENGTH CALCULATION IN RESPECT OF INTERNAL PRESSURE - 1982) and not DIN 2840 (VACUUM TECHNOLOGY; TERMS AND DEFINITIONS, GENERAL TERMS - 1990).
I'm sorry I don't know where you can find standards without buying them, but try to search the web: although it is not legal, may be someone put something on the net...! ;-)
Bye, 'NGL

Well!

I guess almost all answers are already given.But then still here goes:-

1)ASME B 16.34 is the best design & testing standard for the developing a valve from scratch.It covers all the revelant materials .Apart from pressure/temp. ratings,min. wall thickness it gives us the NPS vs inside dia & inspection procedures in the valve field.CERTAINLY A MUST HAVE FOR A VALVE ENGINEER.

2)API-600 also gives the min. wall thk & the inside dia's.But this is only for gate valves.It is a good standard for wedge type of gate valves & pressure seal gate valves.

Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back