Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Valve Seat Damage Testing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TridentSC

Mechanical
Jul 24, 2003
US
We're looking for a method to test butterfly valve seats for resistance to typical damage scenarios such as gravel or tools being trapped in the valve upon closing. Are there any industry standards or common practices for this type of evaluation?

Application is potable water in ductile iron valves with 316 stainless seats on the body and rubber or EPDM seals on the vane.

Thanks,
Walter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think that there are any industry tests to simulate damage due to gravel or tools.

I believe that API 14A has a slurry test. I don't have a copy of the standard nor am I familiar with all the details. I do know that there are some labs will perform this test or an equivalent one (for a fee, of course). Try Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX.

With an EPDM or a rubber seat it is unlikely that your butterfly valve will last long in debris-filled service. You might want to consider using a metal-seated valve instead.

TridentSC,
you can also visit NEL (UK) website: .
They can perform "slurry tests", maybe they've carried out some test similar to the one you're thinking about... even if I think it's quite an "exotic" request.
I believe that plant experience should be the first way to get information about valve seats' resistance; anyway, providing devices that avoid gravel and other objects to get into the valves may be more convenient and should be considered...
Hope this helps, 'NGL

We test some of our gate valves to cut braided wire. I've never been able to find a standard test, we basically stick a piece of wire through the bore of known size and strength and shut the valve then evaluate the results. You could do the same thing with wire or rod of varying size and strength but you'ld have to establish your own benchmark on what is acceptable. There are standardized slurry tests in API 6AV1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back