Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Variable Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmwilson

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2010
US
Similar to adding variable radius points on an edge blend, is there a way to do this on faces that you add draft too? For example if I have a forged part where the outside face varies between 10 and 20 deg draft, is there a way to model that? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have had this issue. Which i had to go back into the part history and change how I moldeled the part. I sketched the two different cross sections and used the through curves command to create the surface I wanted.

OK, attached is one approach that works. It does not use the Draft function but rather a variable-angle Extension Surface which is then used to trim the model. If you follow the feature-tree you will see how I did this. The only real liberty I took with respect to the final shape was using a blend at the upper-corners rather than making it part of the profile. I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but I suspect that it will still meet your needs.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=96a344f6-5f75-4129-bf5e-8895527bb4d2&file=Draft-JRB.prt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back