Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable Helix 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blase_McK

Industrial
Aug 26, 2019
US
Hello, So im trying to add a Helix to a screw that has a MIN thread depth that runs at an angle for 11.2mm and then runs out straight for the remainder of the shank.
I have attached a snip of the drawing. The line highlighted orange, is the spline i am trying to run the helix along.

any idea on how to get it to follow this spline?

Thanks in advance!

Helix_mvuil6.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What NX version are you running ?
This is a typical job for a radius by law curve.
I have attached an NX12 example.
The sketch is the law for how the radius evolves. The total length ( the X- direction) of that sketch is = 100% of the helix height.
i.e if you make this say 100 mm and the helix should be 14 total, and the "bend" at 7 mm, the sketch should bend at 50 mm. ( I hope you understand this.) the height from the base line is 1:1 to the selected radius/diameter in the helix dialog.
image_yebn7l.png

Edit : - You should probably add a fillet ( possible even a G2 Spline ) in the sketch between the lines , else the helix might have a sharp corner which in turn might affect the sweep you do on that helix.
Regards,
Tomas

Toost, Thank you for the reply I'll give this a try and see what I come up with.
I feel like i have tried Law curve and it says spline has multiple loops... not sure why it says that, but it errors out the helix.

As for the version, I'm Running NX12.

So i got the Helix to follow the spline i have set for the minor Diameter,
but its following the spline as if its the minor Diameter. The Major Diameter is constant but the minor is variable

HELIX_2_fi13ie.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back