Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable Opacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Updraft

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
US
This is not a rendering question, per se. I am trying to make a part in an assembly have a variable opacity from solid to mostly translucent, from one edge to another. In the Appearances, Illumination tab I have set the Transparent value to .80. This is fine for the most translucent appearance of the part, but I cannot figure out how to vary the effect across the part. My part is flat and rectangular in the area I want to show this effect.

Since the underside of the part doesn't really show I tried making it wedge-shaped thinking the thicker section would be less translucent, but the part translucency is uniform, despite the changing thickness.

The closest I have come is to make a sub-assembly of the part with staggered layers of the part. This does reduce the translucency with more layers, but the transition is too discrete and I am looking for a smoother transition.

I've searched these forums and the SWX Help to no avail. I know there are some wonderfully clever folks out there and this could be an interesting challenge. Are there any takers?

Thanks in advance,

- - -Updraft

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Updraft,
I just had a quick play around and managed to get a gradient effect if the face of the object has a curve rather than an angle with a spot light set up to shine across it (parallel to the screen). The curves change in relative angle causes a difference in reflected angle of the light.

Kind regards,
Kerry

Kerry,

I need a gradient transparency, not a gradient reflection. The objective is to reveal features of the assembly underneath a part by making the part transition to being transparent. As it is, the reflection is turned way down on this particular part to make it more realistic.

Of the things I've tried so far the layered approach gets me closest, but it has big problems. Besides showing a stair-step transition of transparency it also has a problem with its edges showing. I think I can play with the display of the edges to make that less of an issue, but I was just hoping someone has done something like this before and has found a clever way to pull it off.

- - -Updraft

Updraft,

Not sure on how complex the parts are but, what about creating a sketch and do a intersection curve on the part,
then apply the two different appearances?

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back