Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Variants - Best Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeagsman85

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2012
US
I'm currently looking into using variants to manage our assemblies here at work. Up to this point we've been creating every assembly manually which is definitely not the most efficient methodology. I've been digging into it quite a bit over the last couple of weeks and I've become fairly familiar with how to use variants but I have a couple specific questions and I don't have anyone internal who can answer them. I'm kind of taking point on this particular learning curve.

First of all, what is the best way to manage sub-assemblies using variants? I have a top-level module and multiple sub-assembly modules. Is it best to place the sub-assembly modules themselves within the top-level module or should I place the individual variants of the sub-assemblies in the top-level module? I think I know how to do it either way in terms of setting up options in both modules and presenting them. I'm just trying to find out what the pros and cons are.

Also, I know how to create each of the variant assemblies manually. I've also used the Auto VI function. However, I can't figure out how to assign specific TC ID's to each variant as opposed to automatically assigning the ID number. Is this even possible? If so, I could see the benefits to placing the sub-assembly modules in the top-level module because then I could automatically create and manage all the assemblies from one module.

Another question I have is about configurations. I'm trying to understand what their purpose is. I've created them. I know that they are a file that stores all the settings for a set of options. Other than that, though, what can they be used for? They aren't a variant which is an actual assembly created using the selected options and, from what I can tell, they aren't required to create the variants, correct?

Finally, I think I know the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyway. In a module, how do I create a variant that has multiple instances of the same part just in different locations? Do I need to have three Part A's in the module at the three locations in order for them to carry across to the variant or do I just have one Part A in the module and call it up three times in the variant, if that's even possible? Along those same lines, what's the best way to manage locations of components using variants? For example, if I have Variant 1 that has Part A in one location but Variant 2 has it in a different location, do I manage that at the module level or at the variant level?

I know that's a lot of questions but I'm trying to get a handle on variants. It will be a HUGE timesaver if I can figure out how to apply it correctly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back