Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Varying Hull Thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicSte

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2010
I am trying to represent the varying thickness of a GRP fishing boat, there are more laminates closer to the keel than the sheer but I can not come up with a way to model this. I need to have this detail in my model because i need the exact shape of Ribs and Girders in the hull.

Has anyone else had success trying to do a similar thing in CATIA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guessing that you don't have the composite module to design the hull. Boats are not my area of expertise but I can imagine multiple ways of doing this, variable offset function if you have it or doing multiple offsets and cutting them so you have a transition area that you bridge with sweep function. Do you have any detailed questions or pictures?

No, I do not have the composite workbench, I am using the YP1 package. I have thought about using multiple offsets and cutting them like you suggest, I have tried many options but that seems to be the best option so far, it might just be a bit time consuming. How can i upload a picture?

As this is a repetitive work you should also consider creating some power copies, a set of functions that you re-instantiate with new reference geometry.

In the bottom of the reply window you have the attachments option to either paste a url to the picture or hit the hyper link to "upload your file to ENGINEERING.com" if you have a file

NicSte,

I see you are using the YP1 module. I have been trying to get information about "Catia for Yacht" but have been unsuccessful. If you don't mind could you tell me how you like it? Is it Catia V5 with the YP modules activated or installed in V5? or is "Catia for Yacht" a stand-alone Catia program? Any information you could pass along would be greatly appreciated!

Oceanmater1

Sorry for the late reply

The YP1 package is a bundle of CATIA modules suited for yacht design, Part design 1, Gen. Shape 1, Freestyle Design, Drafting and a few others. Basically all the basics needed for yacht design. What is nice is you can easily upgrade to the YP2 and up packages which increase is functionality and specialize in specific forms of yacht/ship/boat design. I would defiantly recommend this package to start off with in the field of yacht/ship/boat design.

Regards
Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back