Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VAULTED CEILING UNCONVENTIONAL DESIGN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiffguy

Structural
Oct 26, 2023
US
SmartSelect_20231025_114711_Pinterest_lrixxu.jpg
SmartSelect_20231024_080518_Pinterest_qnloon.jpg

Hey guys. I wanted to share this to get your thoughts. The build concept and thought process is this;

The inner exposed yellow pine beams will tie the 2x6 walls together...The concept spawned from the simular beam concept in above picture...the scissor trusses design is posted to ask if perhaps would be easier to engineer...but other is preffered

Construction would be in order - Frame walls, install tension rods, install roof rafters (typ engineered wood I beams @ 16" centers) insulate, sheetrock..... THEN install the exposed beams, bold into place.... remove temp tension rods.

Looking at the drawing you can see the welded steel tube brackets at peak ridge, and there are 2 acting as tie beams. The bottom of beam will bolt to a double or triple top plate to tie walls together.

This is for construction in Florida so no snow load.
vault_roof_beam_conceptual_mtrplf.jpg

FOR BETTER VIEW SEE UPLOADED PDF

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Skiffguy, my answer to your question is what phamENG said above. If the trusses are being used to support the structure above, they will need to be connected to it.

Having done some construction myself, I also think it might be unrealistic finishing the ceiling and then constructing the trusses after, expecting everything to fit together perfect. When those pine pieces are set up against the finished ceiling, I would be surprised if there aren't gaps between the two that might mess up the aesthetic.

Perhaps my thinking was flawed... The yellow pine "trusses" were only supposed to be there to keep walls from spreading via the bars on bottom...the I joists are carring the roof load. My thought was trying to keep wall from pushing out all while having a beautiful exposed beam... I only made the yellow pine "truss to act as tie/tension rod not to support roof...

Let's for a moment forget the truss assembly... and ask now... how will we make this vaulted ceiling...perhaps that's a better approach

BTW...I REALLY appreciate everyone chiming in on this and offering input... I do...

With scissor trusses. 36' is impractical to expect no outward movement of walls and/or dip in the ridge line. Both will be noticeable and likely cause issues. Ties at 8' won't work without an actual beam at the top of the wall.

Phameng... I wondered about if a beam will be required... will a ridge beam eliminate that or both needed ?

Beats me. I didn't run the numbers. What does your analysis tell you?

PhamENG said: "I don't think you can cut a birdsmouth in I-joist rafters like that."

Every I-joist manufacturer I've dealt with allows it. If you follow their installation details.

PhamENG also said: "With scissor trusses. 36' is impractical to expect no outward movement of walls and/or dip in the ridge line."

I depends on the pitches. We can increase the lumber size and grade, and sometimes that will make them work. Other times it just won't work no matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back