Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VC++ vs VB vc C#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jevakil

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2003
US
I am a mechanical engineer, turned programmer. I have some experience with VC++ and VB. While I like the simplicity of VB, I don't like its lack of strcture. VC++ on the other hand is well organized and very powerful, but when it comes to COM it is a nightmare (at lease for me). Does anyone have experience with C#. How does it stack up against the other 2 languages. Specifically how easy it is to develop windows programs and use or create COM interfaces?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

C# is much closer to Java systactically than it is to C++. C# has some elements derived from Visual Basic and Java but C++ is C#'s closest relative.
(I do'nt consider Visual Basic as real language).

1. c++ is unmanaged c# is managed (type safe).
2. c++ performance is twice c# in program load time ,
Integer calculations and database access since c# works
in .NET enviornment.
3. It is suggested that in .NET programmers can get more
done in less time than before.

C++ is arguably the most powerful language ever invented. It has always been a systems language, and it gives you the power and flexibility to produce truly flexible and innovative solutions.VC++ is the only language where you can mix managed (.NET) code and unmanaged code in the same assembly, and even in the same source file.

Also Java is a general purpose, concurrent, class-based, object-oriented language and I would pick it over c#.

I know you don't consider VB a "real" language, however, it does have it's advantages. It is in use by many companies for several reasons. In the dot net environment, VB.Net runs on the same engine as C# so the differences are in the development. Everything I have seen about development in Dot Net indicates productivity is better.

I definitely did'nt mean that VB does not have any usage. I
meant that VB is good for application programming, like
database applications with forms and so on.
For example if you wanted to develope a RealTime control
system for a chemical factory, device drivers , compilers, etc. and basically Systems Programming, c++ would be the answer.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back