Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VDOT: Asphalt Field Compaction Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

QCTechnician

Geotechnical
Oct 25, 2007
US
Using the Marshall Method, what is the desired % compaction for BM.25 base course aspahlt? There are numerous ways to test asphalt in the field, we generally use the Roller Pass/Constrol Strip method and secondly we use the Rice Value in determining the in-place density. However, sometimes our project specs call out the Marshall Method, but they leave the compaction requirements blank.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I remember correctly, In Virginias' "Road and Bridge Specification" they reference "Maximum Theoretical Density" which is what the Marshal test is use to produce. In that book there is a paragraph (I don't have my copy with me) that states that is your reading fall within (say) 92.5 and 97.5% of the MTD that the asphalt as placed is acceptable. But... Unless your project is small enough that a Roller Pattern/Control Strip is not feasable, do the RP/CS. if not default to MTD

Max Theoretical density is the Rice Density.
Marshall is the laboratory density.
For the Rice value it is 91.5%.
This is were the confussion lies.

You are correct that the MTD is the Rice Density. I'll have to look up my stuff at home - had the same problem in India. Our compaction required 98% Marshall minimum (which caused a lot of flushing and other problems during secondary compaction) but most "international" specs seemed to be written to the Rice Density. If I remember correctly, we should have been compacting to about 96% Marshall Density. I figured that the 100% Rice was about 104%(+/-) Marshall so if you are compacting to 92% Rice, it would be about 95.7 - or 95% to 96% Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back