Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Venezuela´s general blackout 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okpower

Electrical
Feb 24, 2006
VE
Hello everyone:

How credible is that a general blackout could be caused by a virus infecting the control system of a hidrogeneration plant with 20 electric generators? And what about electromagnetic weapons disturbing electric transmission lines? Is that possible?
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Completely possible. But a power station of that magnitude is probably going down once the operator (govt?) stops paying attention for any one of a million reasons.

Lack of maintenance is not exclusive for Venezuela. In fact, this is a long overdue issue and the system run precarious but many without long term power failure. The same issue is faced by many third-country utilities around the world. With the current political climate in Venezuela, anything is possible.

An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is not a fiction. This technology has been used in military applications successfully disrupting the electric power grid in adversary countries.

See some of the concern available public domain info in this subject:

Virus? Doubtful. Hacking? More likely than a virus. The main dam (Guri) is controlled by an ABB AC800M DCS system so unless someone has taken the time to create and distribute a very specifically targeted virus, AND have access to the LAN that it is connected to, I don't think it would be a virus or worm type issue. But if someone with knowledge of the system were to get access and get around whatever security system they have (if any), it would not be hard to force a few I/Os into making the system think there was a problem and shut itself down.

But like others, I don't buy it. I really think this was the result of rampant neglect and lack of money to maintain not only the equipment, but the people to keep it all working. What I've heard is that a lot of capable and qualified engineers fled the country quite a while ago because of the problems and the few that are left are over worked. Maduro sent in the military to try to run and maintain the plants, but why would they know anything about that? It's not like military units carry hydroelectric dams around with them so they have trained technicians on staff. it's more likely the military role was to keep anyone else from leaving.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

The system is characterized as follow:
1) 80% of the country's electricity come from the hydro generation.
2) Bulk power transmission voltage are: 765 kV, 400kV, 230kV and 115 kV.
3) There are modern Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU) that many utilities in developed countries do not have.
The question remains: sabotage or lock of maintenance program?. I was unable to find a credible independent source to confirm the cause of consecutive blackout in the middle of a political crisis.

Below is a basic Illustration of the electric system of Venezuela.

Venezuela_Power_System_zdewdq.jpg

There are 2 main public explanations or theories:
1. Virus infecting the control system or hacking, EMP attack on transmission lines (!!??), and physical attack on main transformers similar to sabotage on Sillicon Valley substation (2. A series of unfortunate events and lack of maintenance.

I suppose this should be matter of study for Universities, electrical engineers and experts around the globe, to avoid this happen in their own electrical grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back