Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vertical log home shear design problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemedic

Structural
Dec 5, 2009
US
I am looking for ideas on how to creat shear walls in a building built in 1950 out of eight inch logs oriented in a vertical fashion. There are no interior walls to use. The 8 foot walls sits on a concrete foundation and 2x8 sub floor with rim joists, the roof is a site built truss. The fix has to remain "consistent with the historic" look of the structure, so no replacing sections with BWP's. I was considering creating a BWP out of the corner's with rod's or cables. Any idea's on making that work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cables should work just fine. With a turnbuckle, they are adjustable to the tension you need to limit movement.

Any idea if these logs are spiked together? If so, size and spacing? If there is enough, you may not need cables.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Not sure how much you can do & still preserve the historic nature..Use a 2x12 (or so) at the top and bottom of the logs, like crown moulding, and fasten each log with two (min) fasteners at each end to the 2x12's...esentially creating a little moment connection at each joint, like a portal frame with a lot of verticals close together. Not sure how much value you'll get out of that, but it's an idea.

I am repairing concrete pedestals that sit on existing footings for spalling. The spalling is so bad the existing rebars are showing. The existing rebars have corroded. I submitted an initial design to completely replace the pedestals with new pedestals, but the cost was too great. Now they want me to take a look at spalling repair. The pedestals are only 8" square. Any help especially pointing out a good ACI reference would be appreciated.

I don't have any expertise in this area, I'm just shocked that a building that is younger than I am is considered historic.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back